A to Z
Appeals - council tax: Outline
You must contact us within one month of the date on the notification letter if you want us to look at the decision again. Your claim will be checked again if:
- you think that your benefit is wrong, or
- you have been notified that you are not entitled, but you think you should be
If you do disagree with, or do not understand the notification letter you can contact us for a more detailed explanation.
Once we have received your letter we will ensure that a different officer looks at your claim again. We will then send you a letter to confirm the original decision or amend your entitlement.
REMEMBER - if you do not agree with the original calculation you must always appeal in writing first to the Benefit section.
An Appeal Tribunal is the second stage of the process if you still disagree with the decision after we have looked at it again. The Appeal Tribunal is completely independent of the Benefit section and is there to look at your case again and decide if we have made the correct decision.
AvailabilityNormal office hours Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm (except public holidays)
- Council tax charges
- Online payments
- Council tax payments
- Summons and further recovery action
- Council tax - general information
- Council tax valuations and bandings
- Council tax reductions exemptions and discounts
- Council Tax Support Scheme
- Discretionary Business Rate Relief -Consultation & Decision Feedback
- Fraud Investigation
- Consultation on Council Tax Charges for Vacant Property
- Council Tax and Benefits Online Forms
- Information on Council Tax Bills
Contact: Benefits Department
Telephone: 01706 217777Benefits Department, Admail ADM4005, Rawtenstall, Rossendale, Lancashire, BB4 4ZR