Rossendale Borough Council

A to Z

Licence - riding establishment: Outline

These licences are required under the Riding Establishments Act 1964.

A person keeping a riding establishment requires a licence that is issued by their local council. The definition of a Riding Establishment is " a business of keeping horses for either riding or hire, the instruction/guidance of a qualified instructor for the return of payment."

Veterinary surgeons, police forces and zoos do not require licences. Licences are issued subject to conditions covering the welfare of the horses.

There is a charge for the annual licence, which is issued following a satisfactory inspection by the Council's Environmental Health Officer and veterinary surgeon.

You Local Authority expects all licensed Riding Establishments to comply with Health and Safety Regulations and Health & Safety in Horse Riding Establishments guidelines aswell.


Normal office hours Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm (except public holidays)

Contact: Environmental Health

Telephone: 01706 252565

Environmental Health Team, The Business Centre, Bacup, Rossendale, Lancs, OL13 0BB

Begin to type the name and select from the appearing choices.