Rossendale Borough Council

A to Z

Licence - theatre: Outline

Public performances of stageplays must be licensed under the Theatres Act 1968. The definition of a play includes any dramatic piece, which involves speech, singing or action and involves the playing of a role. This means that ballets and musicals are also included.

In addition to the main purpose built theatres which hold an annual licence, there are a number of community halls or similar premises which put on performances that require an occasional licence. These can be granted for a few days only or specific periods.

Inspections of premises are carried out by the Fire Service, the Council's Building Surveyor and Health and Safety Officer. The Police are also consulted.

Copies of the Theatres Act 1968 can be purchased from Her Majesty's Stationery Office.

A copy of the legislation can be viewed at the Council Offices where you can also obtain an application form and a copy of our standard conditions.


Normal office hours Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm (except public holidays

Contact: Licensing Unit

Telephone: 01706217777 Option 7

The Business Centre, Futures Park, Bacup, Lancashire, OL13 0BB

Begin to type the name and select from the appearing choices.