Rossendale Borough Council

A to Z

Licence - zoo: Outline

Zoos are regulated by the Council under the Zoo Licensing Act 1981.

Rossendale Borough Council work in close partnership with DEFRA (Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) who can give advice on Zoo Licences and give further information about this particular subject.

The Licensing of Zoos is a specialist field and the regulations are complex. If you are thinking of setting up a Zoo, it is recommended that you contact a Specialist Officer first for advice and guidance. You can use the contact details below for further information and advice.

Rossendale Borough Council cannot consider an application unless, at least, 2 months notice of the intended application has been given. The council also needs to publicise the details within the local and national newspaper and to place a notice at the intended site.

When opening a Zoo, your Local Authority will have to consult a number of different parties, these include:
  • Police
  • Fire Authority
  • Governing Body of any National Institute concerned with Zoos
  • Adjoining authority, if the Zoo overlaps the area of that Authority
  • Any persons wishing to object on grounds of Health and Safety in that area.
You can also use the contact details provided below for further information that you may need.


Normal office hours Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm (except public holidays)

Contact: Environmental Health

Telephone: 01706 252565

Environmental Health Team, The Business Centre, Bacup, Rossendale, Lancs, OL13 0BB

Begin to type the name and select from the appearing choices.