A to Z
Private rented accommodation - disrepair: Outline
Landlords who rent accommodation have a responsibility to ensure that the property is maintained to a good standard of repair.
Landlords are responsible for:
- The structure of the property including roof, walls, windows, gutters etc.
- Installations in the property for the supply of gas, water and electricity, including baths, WCs, sinks etc.
- Installations for heating water, storage heaters, radiators, gas fires etc.
Additionally the landlord is responsible to keep the property free from damp, structurally stable, properly ventilated and have adequate bathroom and kitchen facilities.
If you have problems of disrepair:
- Firstly you should contact your landlord to give the landlord opportunity to rectify the problems
- However, if you are still unsure if your landlord is responsible or if your landlord will not carry out the repairs then please contact us for help and advice. The Council will normally arrange to visit your property to inspect the disrepair and offer advice on any action to be taken, including enforcement if necessary, to get repairs carried out.
Contact: Environmental Health
Telephone: 01706 252565Environmental Health Team, The Business Centre, Bacup, Rossendale, Lancs, OL13 0BB