Rossendale Borough Council

Frequently Asked Questions: Council tax

Click a question to reveal the answer.

Council tax FAQs

Q: Why have I received a summons?

Q: What are Court costs for?

Q: What if I can't pay in full?

Q: What if I have written to you about my summons and have not had a reply by the hearing date?

Q: Do I need to attend Court?

Q: Will the Magistrates decide how much I should pay?

Q: What happens if outstanding amounts remain unpaid after receiving a liability order?

Q: How much money would be taken from my wages on an attachment of earnings?

Q: According to our records you have not paid the required installments in accordance with the relevant demand. If the notification sent to you prior to the summons was a final notice, then it will be irrelevant that you have caught up any missed installment.

Q: Why is the Council deducting my benefits when I have no liability for Council Tax?

Q: How do I contact the Recovery Section?

Q: I have had a bill – is it for council tax?

Q: I haven’t yet received a Council Tax bill.

Q: I have had a new Council Tax bill can you explain it & why have you sent it?

Q: Can I make an arrangement to pay my council tax?

Q: How can I pay my (council tax) bill?

Q: Can I change the date on which I pay my Council Tax instalments?

Q: Can I pay my Council Tax weekly , half yearly or in full ?

Q: My Direct Debit amounts have changed / appear incorrect.

Q: How much council Tax do I owe at this time?

Q: I have changed my address OR circumstances what do you need to know?

Q: There has been a death in the family, what do you need to know?

Q: I am a landlord, & there has been a change of tenancy at one of my properties.

Q: I own an empty property will I have to pay Council Tax for it?

Q: Will my property need to be unoccupied before I am entitled to exemption ?

Q: I am disabled can I claim any reduction in my Council Tax charges?

Q: Why have I received this reminder/final notice for my Council Tax?

Q: I have received a Final Notice for Council Tax can I just bring my instalments up to date instead ?

Q: Will receipt of these reminder notices for Council Tax affect my credit rating ?

Q: How can I find out what is the band of my property and can I find out about bands for other properties?

Q: I have just bought a new property how can I find out what band it will be given?

Q: What are the charges per band in Rossendale and Whitworth?

Q: What can I do if I think my property has been given the wrong band?

Q: Am I still obliged to pay my Council Tax if I am unhappy with the services provided?

Q: How do I appeal against my Council Tax Band ?

Q: How do I appeal if I have not been awarded exemption/discount or a bill has been incorrectly issued ?

Q: How do I complain about your service?

Q: What happens if the enforcement agent visits my home?

Q: What if the Enforcement Agents dont collect the outstanding amount?

Q: What if I recieve a summons for my committal to prison?

Q: Will a duty solicitor be available at court?

Q: What happens if i ignore a committal summons?

Q: How do I claim housing/council tax benefit?

Q: What do I do if I cannot afford the statutory instalments?

Q: If a tenant is supposed to be paying the council tax but has fallen into arrears, am I as property owner liable for the debt?

Q: Who Can Claim?

Q: How do I Claim?

Q: When should I Claim?

Q: When will you start my Claim?

Q: What is Second Adult Rebate?

Q: How is it Paid?

Q: What happens if my Circumstances Change?

Q: What happens if I delay telling you about a change?

Q: How should I tell you about the changes in circumstances?

Q: What happens if I disagree with your decision on my claim or the amount of benefit you pay me?

Q: What Is Benefit Fraud?

Q: What Types Of Benefit Fraud Are There?

Q: What Organisations Do The Investigation Unit Have Access To?

Q: How Can I Report A Suspected Fraud?

Q: There is no (or reduced) benefits shown on my bill or I am waiting for benefits to sort out my claim?

Q: Is there anything else I can claim, to help me pay my council tax?

Q: My husband works away, can i claim for any discount example single adult occupant as he only stays 2 nights a month ?

Do you have a Question?

If there is anything you would like to ask us, about our services, our work or how we can help you, then click the button below.

Get this feed Rossendale Borough Council Council tax feed