Rossendale Borough Council

Category Navigation

Disabled facilities grants (DFGs)

What is a disabled facilities grant?

View pages in this section

A Disabled Facilities Grant is money from the council to adapt the home of a person with a disability to enable them to continue to live there. A grant is offered when Lancashire County Council considers that the changes are necessary and appropriate to meet specific needs and that Rossendale Borough Council considers the work proposed is reasonable and practicable depending on the age and condition of the property.

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) are mandatory grants for essential adaptations to give disabled people better freedom of movement into and around their homes and to give access to essential facilities within the home. The legislation governing DFGs in England and Wales is the 1996 Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act.

So what do I do now?

The first step, if you are over 18 years old is to contact a customer service officer at Social Services and ask for an assessment. This will be carried out by an Occupational Therapist. The contact number is 0845 0530009.

If your enquiry is for a young person up to the age of 18 years old then contact Reedley Hall on 01282  731062 or the Acorns Centre Accrington on 01254 282592.

Once the Occupational Therapist has made a recommendation you will receive a letter from Social Services to let you know what has been recommended and what will happen next.  

In most cases you will then be contacted by the Council to discuss the adaptation. However in certain cases where the cost of the adaptation is small, or is just for a piece of specialist equipment, this will be arranged without involving the Council or the need to apply for a grant. The Occupational Therapist will let you know if this is the case.