Rossendale Borough Council

Do you need building regulations approval?

Work requiring approval

View pages in this section

In general, most building work needs formal approval and the type of work covered includes the:

  • erection of a new building or re-erection of an existing building
  • extension of a building
  • material alteration of a building
  • material change of use of a building
  • installation, alteration or extension of a controlled service or fitting to a building

Typical examples of work needing approval include:

  • home extensions such as for a kitchen, bedroom, lounge
  • loft conversions
  • internal structural alterations such as the removal of a load-bearing wall or partition,installation of baths,showers, WCs which involve new drainage or waste plumbing, installation of new heating appliances other than electric
  • new chimneys or flues
  • underpinning of foundations
  • alterations that affect the building's means of escape or fire precautions
  • altered openings for new windows in roofs or walls
  • replacing roof coverings unless exactly 'like for like' repair
  • installation of cavity insulation
  • erection of new buildings that are not exempt
  • access improvements for disabled people
  • replacement windows & doors (unless the contractor is FENSA registered)
  1. You are here: Work requiring approval
  2. Exemptions to the building regulations

Telephone: 01706 252522

The Business Centre, Futures Park, Bacup, Lancashire, OL13 0BB