Rossendale Borough Council
New website customer registration

The Council is due to launch a new website on 09/08/2017. Please note that all customers who have previously registered on our existing site will need to re-register on the new site.

Individual Electoral Registration

Guide to Individual Electoral Registration (IER)

Individual Electoral Registration (IER)

Register to vote here

From 10 June 2014, the way you register to vote will change. The new registration system is called Individual Electoral Registration or IER.

IER is being introduced nationally to help tackle electoral fraud and enable online registration, which will make it easier and more convenient for you to register to vote.

Changes to the way you register:

At present, one person in every household is responsible for registering to vote all eligible residents at their address.   This occurs each year during the annual canvass of all properties in the Borough.

From 10 June 2014, each person will need to register to vote individually, providing their national insurance number and date of birth as 'identifying information'.  This will enable applications to be verified before they're added to the register

If you are unable to supply this information, there are alternative forms of official evidence which can be accepted.

The new system also means that electors will be able to register online  via Anyone registering under the new system will need to register themselves individually by filling out a paper or online form.

How will I know if I am registered under this new system?

Rossendale's Electoral Register will be compared to the Department for Work and Pension (DWP) records to confirm elector details are correct. This transfer will be carried out through a secure system that has been thoroughly tested by Government.

Following this comparison, most people in Rossendale will be confirmed as resident at their address and so will be automatically included on the new Electoral Register published on 1 December 2014.  These residents will get a letter in August to confirm they don't need to do anything else.

However, some people won't match through this process and so won't be registered automatically. This may be for all sorts of reasons, for example, they may have moved home since the DWP records were last updated.

For any non-matched residents, we will send an invitation to register letter that explains what they need to do.  It will be straightforward to re-register, the letter will include a registration form or an online registration service can be used via the following link:  Both of these registration methods will require the resident to supply their date of birth and National Insurance Number.

Properties without any registered electors will be sent a Household Enquiry Form to collect the names of any residents.

If you don't respond to the invite to register letter:

A reminder form will be sent to any residents who do not respond to the invite to register letter.  By law, we must also send a second reminder, followed by a personal visit in the autumn to all residents who do not register to vote under the new system.

If you fail to renew your registration under the new system in 2014 your electoral registration will continue until the 1 December 2015 Electoral Register is published.  Non responding electors will then be removed from the 1 December 2015 Electoral Register.

However, if you are a postal or proxy voter you must register under the new IER system or you will automatically lose the right to use this method of absent voting at the next elections following the publication of the 1 December 2014 Electoral Register.

Not being registered can also impact on applications for mortgages or mobile phones as credit reference agencies use the register to validate applications.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I've moved house since I last registered or am moving house? 

If you have recently moved house or are moving in the future, you should register again from 10 June 2014 at 

How do I find my National Insurance number?

A National Insurance number is a reference number used by Government. The easiest place to find your National Insurance number is on official paperwork, such as your National Insurance card, payslips or letters from the Department for Work and Pensions or HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). If you still can?t find it, you can use the HMRC enquiry service at

Please be aware HMRC won't tell you your National Insurance number over the phone, they'll post it to you.

I don't know my date of birth

If you do not know your actual date of birth, you may have been given an official one in the past and this can be used to register to vote. This can be found on paperwork, including a passport, adoption certificate, driving licence or naturalisation certificate.

If you do not have one, you will need to explain why you are unable to provide it in your registration application. We may contact you to ask you for other proof of identity.

Does the change affect how I vote?

No, voting processes haven?t changed. However, if you want to vote by post or proxy you will need to ensure that you are registered under the new system

I received a confirmation letter but the details are wrong, how can I change them?

If your name has changed, you can complete a change of name form with your previous and new name and the date of the change. You will need to provide evidence to support the change of name, such as a copy of your marriage certificate or deed poll certificate (although there is a process available if you can?t provide this information).

I have no fixed address, can I register?

If you have no fixed address you can still register to vote. You need to make something called a ?declaration of local connection? to show that you are connected to and spend time at a particular place. You can normally do this only for one place.

If you want to register through a declaration of local connection you will need to do so under the new registration system. This means you will need to provide your date of birth and National Insurance number

I received an invitation to register, can I still vote by post / proxy?

You will need to register under the new system to retain your postal / proxy vote

Can a family member register me?

No, everybody needs to register themselves. If you are unable to register yourself, it?s ok to get help filling in the details but you must make the declaration yourself.

Will I still get an annual canvass form?

Instead of your old annual canvass form, you will receive a new type of form called a ?household enquiry form?. You should use this form to confirm who lives in your home. If new adults aged 16 or over have moved in you should add them to the form, and if they have not registered we will send them an invitation to register.

Do I need to re-register each year?

You don?t need to register again unless you change address. You will, however, need to return the household enquiry form that you will receive every year that confirms who is living in your household. You should also inform us if any of your details (such as a name) change.

Find out more

Further information about IER is available from

Telephone: 01706 252445

Elections Office, Futures Park, Bacup, Rossendale, Lancashire, OL13 0BB