Rossendale Borough Council

Environmental health

The Environmental Health department at Rossendale Borough Council has a number of small specialist teams who concentrate on food safety, pollution, public safety and Health and safety and general public health matters. The work of the Environmental Health department spans a wide range of environmental health issues, with a focus on domestic public health matters.

Private Rented Sector

Private rented housing must meet certain standards of conditions. Landlords who rent out residential properties must ensure that the property is free from both unnecessary and avoidable hazards.The Environmental Health team can halp you ensure that these standards and conditions are met. 

Food Safety

Environmental Health Officers help ensure that food made, stored or sold from a shop, restaurant, cafe or burger van is safe for the public to eat.

Health & Safety at Work Inspections

Rossendale Borough Council helps ensure that offices, shops and warehouses as well as cultural, entertainment and leisure premises are safe for employees, the public and others who visit or work on any of these types of premises.

Animal Welfare

Animal health and welfare legislation is enforced jointly by the Local Authority and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), in association with other government bodies and independent organisations like the RSPCA.

Pollution control

The Pollution, Housing and Health Section deal with a wide range of pollution issues including: controlling pollution, inspecting, reviewing and issuing permits for certain potentially polluting industrial process, pollution monitoring, reviewing and assessing air quality and preventing pollution by responding to polluting "events" and complaints. 

Open to access domestic property

The Environmental Health Service have powers to make secure vacant domestic property which is open to unauthorised access.

On occasions the EH service issue enforcement notices on business owners to rectify legal requirements. Some of these notices are a matter of public record and the authority maintain a public record of such notices. These can be found at EH Notices Public Register

Some specialist services provided by the Environmental Health team do require payment. Please see our current Fees and Charges.

Get this feed Rossendale Borough Council Environmental health feed