Our website was developed and is maintained with accessibility in mind. We are committed to accessibility and aim to reach conformance level AA of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG 2.0).
We have performed manual tests of website templates and tested the website experience for users with different types of disability.
We provide features to make the website easy to use for all our visitors.
Change font size, font style or letter spacing via council website
If you need larger font, different letter spacing or a different font style these can be changed in the change font and colour settings page.
Change font size via browser
- Chrome - go to the menu and use the plus (+) or minus (-) in the Zoom section
- Firefox - go to the View menu and select Zoom then either Zoom In or Zoom Out
- Internet Explorer - go to the View menu and select Text Size and your preferred size
- Opera - go to the View menu and select Zoom then a percentage value
- Safari - go to the View menu and select Zoom In, Zoom Out or Zoom Text only
If you need a different colour contrast go to change font and colour settings page.
- A-Z of services - helps you find services and pages quickly and easily
- Site map - lists all the pages by category of the website
- Search - search on every page to search the whole site for information
- Jump to content - link at the top of the page is useful for screen reader users and avoids navigation links being read out
- Consistency - navigation is consistent to help find information easily
We aim to use plain language and avoid unnecessary jargon and acronyms on this website. There are pages or documents, such as planning documents or council reports, where complex or technical language is often necessary and used.
The website can be viewed in 57 other languages using Google Translate.
Opening and downloading Adobe PDF documents
Portable Document Format (PDF) is used for downloadable documents on our website.
Documents are also available in different formats such as Braille, large print, British Sign Language, audio tape, CD and Easy Read on request.
Browsers, platforms and devices
Our website has been tested on a variety of older and new browsers, platforms and devices.
Images on our website include a text alternative for screen readers.
Our commitment is to continually improve the website, with an aim to become fully accessible and meet legislation and guidelines.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the site conforms to standards and guidelines, there is an on-going process to reduce the overall number of PDFs on the site and we aim to ensure all new PDFs are built correctly with accessibility in mind.
GIS map information remains inaccessible for some users but we aim to provide text alternatives of map information, in cases where we are able to do so.
Contact and feedback
We are committed to improving levels of accessibility. If you experience problems accessing the website please contact the web team and we will try to help.