Salary – £25,878 - £28,371
Hours – 37 hours – depot based
We are currently looking to appoint a committed HGV Technician to join the Fleet Maintenance Team. You will be responsible for carrying out the full range of servicing and repair of all Council vehicles and plant, ensuring that all are operating safely and efficiently, and are maintained to the highest standards, in line with current legislation.
Level 3 HGV Maintenance and Repair qualification or equivalent qualification.
UK Driving Licence - Category C or be willing to actively work towards achieving.
Duties and responsibilities
- Service and repair the full range of RBC vehicles and plant, including refuse collection vehicles, road sweepers, light commercial vehicles, tractors, trailers and grounds maintenance equipment.
- Carry out fault-finding and repair of electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic equipment / vehicles.
- Attend to roadside breakdowns.
- Carry out clear record keeping of all work done and parts used
- Collect parts as required.
- Assist with yard deliveries as required.
- Take vehicles for MOT.
- Carry out fabrication and welding as required.
- Ensure the security of the council buildings, property and vehicles where required.
- Steam clean vehicles, equipment and their components when required.
- Undertake any other duties as required within the Fleet Maintenance Team
- Liaise with relevant supervisors/service managers/contractors to organise vehicle servicing and repairs according to the fleet maintenance schedule.
- Experience in the fault diagnosis, repair and maintenance of municipal fleet
- Experience of working as part of a fleet maintenance team
- Capable of working on own initiative with minimum supervision.
- Well-developed written skills and the ability to write concise and clear reports of work carried out and parts used.
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions efficiently.
- Ability to achieve workloads required, delivering to a high quality standard, in line with safe systems of work and DVSA and manufacturers standards.
- Ability to communicate and deal with a diverse range of people calmly and effectively.
- To have a positive attitude to undertaking further responsibilities such as covering for staff to remove waste from the waste transfer station or facilitating help in the depot.
- Working knowledge of Health and Safety practice.
- A flexible and adaptable approach in order to respond to changing priorities.
- Ability and willingness to demonstrate the council’s values and behaviours
- Commitment to continuous professional development.
- Commitment to developing and maintaining high levels of customer care
- Requirement to work flexibly between 6.30am and 6.00pm to meet the needs of the service, potentially on a rota basis.
- To have a comprehensive tool kit to fulfil the role.
- Family friendly policies
- On-site free parking
- Up to 31 days' annual leave
- Option to purchase additional leave
- Salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme
- Savings and loan scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Generous pension scheme
- Additional voluntary contribution to AVC
- Staff reward scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Employee forums (Your Voice, Health & Wellbeing)
The information contained in this job description is provided to assist employees joining the council to understand and appreciate the work content of their post and the role they will play in the organisation. However, the following point should be noted:
- Whilst every endeavour has been made to outline all the duties and responsibilities of the post, a document such as this does not permit every item to be specified in detail. Broad headings, therefore, may have been used, in which case all the usual associated routines are naturally included in the job description.
How to apply
Download and complete the application form at https://www.rossendale.gov.uk
Application forms should be returned to: email@example.com OR
Rossendale Borough Council, People & Policy, The Business Centre, Futures Park, Bacup, Lancashire, OL13 0BB
Alternatively, email your name and address, quoting reference number to XT1003 firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone People and Policy on 01706 252449.
As part of our commitment to inclusion, we offer guaranteed interviews for specific groups of people. To qualify, you will need to meet the minimum requirements for the role, and identify with one of the below criteria:
- Members of the Armed Forces and veterans
- If you consider yourself to be disabled or if you have a long-term health condition.
Closing Date – Monday 22nd May at 10am
Interview Date – Te be confirmed