Salary – £12.70 per hour (Scalepoint 12, grade 4)
Hours – Casual hours including evening and weekend work.
Location - Various
Working as part of the Committee and Member Services Team you will be responsible for providing support and chauffeur services to the Mayor & Deputy Mayor.
This is a rare opportunity to take on a unique role supporting the Mayor/Deputy Mayor of Rossendale at all their engagements. The role will require you to research the engagement venue, prepare the route and transport them to the venue safely. You will also assist with any Civic Functions, the Civic Regalia and Mayoral Chains and maintain the Mayoral vehicle to a high standard. You should have excellent communication skills and have the ability to work in a courteous and diplomatic manner.
There are no specific qualifications for this post but candidates should have a good standard of general education.
Duties and responsibilities
- Undertake duties of the Mayor’s chauffer by transporting the Mayor or Deputy Mayor to and from civic functions and engagements and ensuring punctuality.
- Undertake duties of the Mayor’s attendant at civic functions and events including advising and dressing the Mayor, ensuring a proper introduction to the host of the event and responsibility for the general well-being of the Mayor on official business.
- Carry out duties of the Macebearer, announcing and leading the Mayor at formal occasions.
- Be the Toastmaster or Master of Ceremonies upon request at civic events.
- Ensure all Civic Insignia and garments are stored and maintained appropriately undertaking responsibility for cleanliness and the safe storage and transportation of items. Report all required repairs in a timely manner and take personal responsibility for the preservation of all items.
- Ensure that the Council office building is secure when entering and leaving out of hours.
- Ensure the cleaning, general maintenance and road worthiness of the Mayoral car.
- Provide other chauffeuring duties as deemed appropriate by the Council.
- Support the Civic Services Officer & Leader’s PA in arranging of civic functions and occasions.
- Undertake general administrative duties as required within the Committee & Member Services Team.
- Represent the organisation in a professional and respectful manner and maintain the dignity and standing of the Mayoral office at all times.
- Contribute to effective communication within Legal & Democratic Services and with Elected Members of the Council, supporting positive public relations at all times, to secure successful outcomes.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the Council.
- Contribute to the operation of the Council’s Equal Opportunities Policy
- Role requires successful applicant to undertake a basic DBS Check
- Considerable driving experience with a clean Full UK Driving Licence.
- To be able to drive safely, appropriately, responsibly and in a manner that befits the Mayoral Office.
- A high level of flexibility and willingness to work to a changing work pattern including frequent weekend and evening work.
- Have some familiarity with I.T. programmes including Microsoft Word & Outlook
- Ability to undertake daily vehicle checks; ensuring the civic car is kept in an immaculate condition.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, particularly when meeting diverse groups from all sectors of society and the local community.
- Good organisational skills, including attention to detail.
- Be well presented at all times to conduct themselves to the highest possible standard.
- Experience of speaking in public, and to be able to make public announcements at small/large indoor and outdoor engagements in a clear and audible voice.
- Experience of working within a political environment and working with members of the Council and members of the public (Desirable)
- Experience of civic events and the organisation of these events. (Desirable)
- Knowledge of Civic Protocol (Desirable)
- Ability to keep records and prepare written reports and correspondence. (Desirable)
- Family friendly policies
- On-site free parking
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Employee forums (Your Voice, Health & Wellbeing)
The information contained in this job description is provided to assist employees joining the council to understand and appreciate the work content of their post and the role they will play in the organisation. However, the following point should be noted:
- Whilst every endeavour has been made to outline all the duties and responsibilities of the post, a document such as this does not permit every item to be specified in detail. Broad headings, therefore, may have been used, in which case all the usual associated routines are naturally included in the job description.
How to apply
Download and complete the application form.
Application forms should be returned to: firstname.lastname@example.org OR
Rossendale Borough Council, People & Policy, The Business Centre, Futures Park, Bacup, Lancashire, OL13 0BB
Alternatively, email your name and address, quoting reference number DY1003 to email@example.com or telephone People and Policy on 01706 252449.
Closing Date – Monday 3rd April 2023 at 12 noon
Interview Date – Wednesday 12th April 2023