Anybody who is liable to pay Council Tax can claim, as long as:

  • you have savings of less than £16,000 unless you are in receipt of Guaranteed Pension Credit.
  • you are over 16 years of age
  • you are receiving Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Pension Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Universal Credit or living on a low income.

Apply for Council Tax Support

What evidence do I need to provide?

We sometimes need information about people other than the person who has applied for a benefit or service to work out what that person is entitled to. For example, where a person makes a claim for Council Tax Support, we need information about other people who live in the same household to work out how much the person will be paid.

We also need certain information and evidence from you to process your claim as quickly as possible.

Acceptable forms of proof of National Insurance Number

  • National Insurance card
  • P45 or P60
  • DWP notification letter
  • Tax letter

Acceptable forms of identification

  • Current valid passport
  • Full Driving Licence
  • Marriage certificate
  • Birth certificate
  • Benefit award letter from DWP
  • National Identity card issued by a European Economic Area member state
  • UK Residence permit

Types of income proof we need

  • We need to see a notification letter for your current award if you receive Universal Credit, Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (income based), Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credits.

Proof of earnings

  • For each job - 5 weekly, 3 fortnightly or 2 monthly consecutive wage slips. If you do not have these ask us for an 'employers certificate'. This must include a company stamp
  • If you are self-employed - your HMRC self-employed registration number and your last profit and loss accounts covering a 12 month period. If you do not have these ask for a self-employed form from us

Proof of other income

  • State benefits and pension
  • Department for Works and Pension notification letter for the current award
  • Bank statement showing the payments going in

Occupational pension

  • Pay Slips
  • Letter from your former employer
  • Letter from your pension provider

Other proof

  • Tax Credits - HMRC notification letter - all pages
  • Maintenance - Letter from Child Support Agency or a letter from payer
  • Other income - Letter showing the amount and frequency
  • Student grant / loan - Current grant / loan award letter including a full breakdown of the type of grant
  • Child care payments - Receipts showing the amount of payments made, frequency of the payments and the childminders' OFSTED registration number

Proof of capital

  • Up to date bank statements covering the last 2 months.
  • Share certificates
  • National savings certificates 
  • Premium bonds

Documentary evidence of any other type of capital

  • Second properties - Evidence of the current valuation and the amount of the outstanding mortgage
  • Evidence of the amount of any rental income received

How to send your documents

Use our evidence uploader, it enables you to upload all the documents we need to support your application.
You will be asked to complete a few details first so that we can link your evidences to the correct person.

Upload my evidence

Council Tax Reduction Scheme Document