Challenge your Council Tax band

If you think your property has been allocated the wrong valuation band, you can appeal against the decision by contacting the Valuation Office Agency.

You must continue to pay your Council Tax while your appeal is being considered.

You should write to:

Manchester Valuation Office

Manchester One 53 Portland Street


M1 3LD

Telephone: 03000 501501


Appeal a Council Tax bill

You can appeal if you think

  • your home should not be charged Council Tax
  • we are sending Council Tax bills to the wrong person in your home
  • the amount of the bill is wrong
  • you have not been given a discount that you believe should apply
  • your bill has not been reduced, even though a disabled person lives in your household.

Please note that you cannot appeal against court costs.

If you disagree with our decision, you should write to us to tell us why you disagree.

You can email  or write to us at:

Revenues and Benefits

PO Box 104

Futures Park


OL13 3BU

We will look into it and let you know the result of our review.


Ask us to look again at our decision

If you still disagree with the decision after we have told you the result of our review, or if we have not told you the result within two months, you can appeal to the independent Valuation Tribunal.


How to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal

You can appeal online through the Valuation Tribunal’s website or in writing to:

Valuation Tribunal

Hepworth House

2 Trafford Court




The Valuation Tribunal will tell us that they have received your appeal and ask us for any information they require.

They will then contact you to arrange a hearing and will send you a booklet explaining the tribunal's procedures in more detail

Council Tax


The amount of Council Tax that you have to pay is determined by the 'banding' of your property

Find out more