Hazelwood homecare shop front in Haslingden

Grant funded scheme available in Haslingden to refurbish shop fronts

Rossendale Borough Council is appealing to Haslingden businesses in Higher Deardengate, Haslingden, to take advantage of a grant-funded scheme to refurbish their shopfronts.

The venture is part of The Big Lamp Regeneration Scheme in the town centre which is running in parallel to the half a million pounds renovation of Haslingden Market.

Already two shopfronts 51 and 53 Deardengate have been given a facelift and work is about to start on numbers 18 and 41 under the scheme supported by The National Lottery Heritage Fund, with thanks to National Lottery players.

One of the first two recipients was Hazelwood Home Care and director Ryan Godwin said: “The work that has been carried out is fantastic and very in keeping with the building’s history.

“We bought the building in 2022 as our main office in this part of Lancashire where we serve around 45 homes. At the time we had no idea that an application for the shopfront grant had been accepted so we were delighted with the circumstances.

“The work has cost in excess of £40,000 and we have only had to pay around £10,000 which is great. The new look has been a great assistance in helping us establish our business in the heart of town.”

Ryan, who supports Rossendale Civic Pride by providing planters and around 2,000 geraniums in public areas around the Valley each year, is a finalist in this year’s Pride of Rossendale Man Of The Year awards.

Of the grant, he added: “Decades ago the property was a butcher’s shop and during the work some of the original features were uncovered.

“Apart from the shopfront new traditional sash windows have been installed instead of the plastic frames, the stonework has been carefully restored, guttering reinstated and even quite a bit of work on the roof has been carried out.

“And with the vape shop next door also having been restored the end of the street looks so much more appealing. We are very pleased with the final results because they have brought two buildings back to life. I would recommend other businesses to apply for the funding.”

Councillor Alyson Barnes, leader of the council, said: “Businesses who participate in the scheme receive 75% grant providing they meet the eligibility criteria leaving them to pay only 25% of the cost. It is imperative that businesses apply as early as possible because the funding may not be repeated for some time.

“We have appointed Buttress Architects and RossLee Construction to make the process easy for building owners.

Buttress is a leading design studio providing architecture, urban design, interiors and conservation design services.

The Big Lamp Project is split into three areas – external shop front grants; a public realm scheme; and community engagement.

For information regarding eligibility for the grant send an email to economicdevelopment@rossendalebc.gov.uk

Published: Tuesday, 28th May 2024