An overpayment occurs when you are paid more Housing Benefit than you are entitled to. 

You will be notified by letter if you are overpaid, this will explain:

  • How much the overpayment is
  • Why you were overpaid
  • What your correct benefit entitlement is for the period of the overpayment
  • Who the overpayment is being recovered from

Overpayments can be recovered in various ways:

  • From your ongoing Housing Benefit award
  • Directly from your earnings or DWP benefits
  • Directly from your landlord (if payments were made to the landlord in the first instance - in certain circumstances)
  • Via third parties such as enforcement agents or the County Court
  • From you via an agreed payment arrangement. 

If you think our Housing Benefit overpayment is wrong, you have one month from the date of our decision to:

  • Ask us for an explanation.
  • Ask us to look at the decision again, and if we can change it, we will send a new decision. If we cannot change it, you will have a further month in which to appeal.
  • Appeal in writing for an Independent Appeals Service Tribunal to look at the decision again. This should be submitted to Rossendale Borough Council.