Your property may receive a reduction from Council Tax for a limited period depending on the household status.
The most common types of occupied property exemptions or discounts from Council Tax are:
- the property is occupied soley by students
- all of the properties occupants are severely mentally impaired (SMI)
- the property is occupied soley by people under the age of 18
- apprentice discount
- youth training discount
- child benefit discount i.e. if someone in your household is 18 years of age and child benefit is paid for them
- prisoner discount i.e. if a household member is in detentition by order of a court.
- members of religious communities discount
- self contained annex discount i.e. occupying a 'granny' flat
- self contained annex exemption i.e. if the person occupying the 'granny' flat is an elderley or disabled relative
- carers discount i.e. if a member of the household cares for another resident for at least 35 hours a week and is not their spouse/partner or child under 18
- care worker discount
- member of visiting forces i.e. if someone in the household is a member of a visiting force/international organisation or a diplomat
To apply for any of these please contact us or follow the links to our online forms.
Please note that under schedule 3 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992, a penalty of £70.00 may be added to your council tax account if you
- knowingly supply information which is inaccurate
- fail to advise within 21 days that you should no longer be entitled to a discount