Help with cost of living crisis in Rossendale & Household Support Fund

Find out what help is available in Rossendale


Building Control Requirements

Carrying out demolitions work

Under Section 80 of the Building Act 1984 anyone intending to carry out demolition works is required to notify us. This legislation applies to the demolition of any building or part of a building greater than 1750 cubic feet (Approximately 49.5m3). The extract from the Building Act below provides more information, but if you are unsure please contact us.

Details of the demolition works to be carried out and the building to which it relates should be given in writing. We have six weeks to respond with the appropriate notices and consultation under Sections 81 and 82 of the Act. Click to download our demolition notice form.

Extract from Building Act 1984

80.-(1) This section applies to the demolition of the whole or part of a building except-

  • a demolition in pursuance of a demolition order made under the Housing Act 1957, and

a demolition-

  • of an internal part of a building, where the building is occupied and it is intended that it should continue to be occupied,
  • of a building that has a cubic content (as ascertained by external measurement) of not more than 1750 cubic feet, or, where a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage forms part of a larger building, of the greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage, or
  • without prejudice to sub-paragraph (ii) above, of an agricultural building (as defined in section 26 of the General Act 1967), unless it is contiguous to another building that is not itself an agricultural building or a building of a kind mentioned in that sub-paragraph.