Help with cost of living crisis in Rossendale & Household Support Fund

Find out what help is available in Rossendale

Land drainage

Land drainage covers subjects such as rivers, ditches, culverts, streams, lakes, dams and ground water.


Main rivers - Environment Agency - Floodline 0845 988 1188

Maintaining the flow in these rivers and streams is the responsibility of the adjoining landowners but is enforced by the Environment Agency.

Land drainage - Private landowners

The responsibility for the maintenance of smaller watercourses, stream and ditches rests, like main rivers, with the adjacent landowner. Both the Borough Council and the Environment Agency have powers to ensure the ditches are maintained, but if either needs to take action in respect of a watercourse on private land we will seek to reclaim the cost from the landowner(s). No-one is allowed to carry out work in, on or near a land drainage feature without the written consent of the Environment Agency and Lancashire County Council