Land drainage

Faulty drain

 A drain carries foul and/or surface water from one property discharging to a  sewer. The owner of a property with a private drain, is responsible for the upkeep and repair of the drains, gutters and rain water pipes within the property boundary.

If a drain becomes blocked you can take the following steps to resolve the problem:

  1. Try to unblock the drain yourself
  2. Contact your drainage insurance or household insurance provider as they may be able to assist you under the terms of the policy. An excess may apply.
  3. Contact a private drainage contractor who will be able to attend and resolve the problem for you. 

You can also contact your water company;

Untied Utilities Customers

If a street gulley becomes blocked please contact Lancashire County Council using their online reporting tool

Report a Blocked Street Gulley