When you present Homeless
If you want to present homeless please complete the enquiry form we will be able to advise if we have a duty to prevent or relieve your homelessness.
Under homeless legislation we have a duty to provide accommodation for you if:
You are eligible for assistance.
You are homeless
You are in priority need
You are not intentionally homeless
You have a local connection with Rossendale
If all of these criteria apply to you then we will normally make one reasonable offer of accommodation to you.
Who is eligible for assistance?
- A British citizen permanently resident in this country
- A citizen of a foreign country who has unrestricted permission to live in the UK for an unlimited period of time
- A recognised refugee
- Any class of person specified as eligible by the Secretary of State
Are you homeless?
If you rquire help and advice about preventing or relieving your homelessness please complete the enquiry form a member of the housing options team will be in contact within 5 working days either by phone or email.
- If is likely that you will become homeless within 56 days we have a duty to prevent you becoming homeless
- If you are already homeless we have a duty to relieve your homelessness for 56 days.
Are you in priority need?
You are considered to be in priority need if
- You are 16/17 years old.
- You are pregnant or you have dependent children living with you
- You are vulnerable due to old age, mental illness, physical disability, etc.
- You are homeless due to an emergency such as fire or flood.
- You are a former Looked After Child
- You are fleeing Domestic Violence
- You have served in the Armed Forces
Are you intentionally homeless?
You may be considered to be intentionally homeless if:
- You gave up a home when it was reasonable for you to continue to live there.
- You did something which you could reasonably expect to lead to the loss of your home.
- You failed to take reasonable action to prevent the loss of your home.
For example you might be deemed intentionally homeless if you persistently failed to pay rent or breached your tenancy agreement.
Do you have a local connection to Rossendale?
There are a number of ways in which you can show that you have a local connection with Rossendale:
- If you are resident in Rossendale; or
- If you are permanently employed in Rossendale; or
- If you have close relatives who have been living in Rossendale for 5 years or longer (e.g. parents or brothers and sisters).
As the rules on these matters are complicated, this should be regarded as only general advice.
Detailed guidance will be given regarding individual applications.
If you have no accommodation and you appear to be in priority need, we can provide temporary accommodation whilst we investigate your homelessness.
Temporary accommodation could include a place in a hostel or bed and breakfast accommodation.
These places could be located outside the area as there is limited temporary accommodation within Rossendale.
If you are found to be homeless or threatened with homelessness you will be awarded 'Band 2', through B-With-Us Choice-Based Lettings (CBL) Partnership. This will hopefully ensure you have sufficient priority to be successful when bidding for properties. However, please be aware that there can be restrictions imposed on banding, which will be explained in the letter confirming we have a duty to prevent or relieve your homelessness.
If you are found to be homeless or threatened with homeless we will also offer help to secure a private rented property.
After you have been homeless for 56 days we will assess whether we have a full duty to rehouse you.
Housing Options will still provide you with advice and assistance on housing matters if you are not homeless.
Right to seek review
You have a right to seek a review against:
- An officer's decision made in response to your application; and
- A particular offer of accommodation made; if you feel it is not a reasonable or suitable offer.
Details of your right to seek review are included in correspondence sent out during the homelessness application process.