Help with cost of living crisis in Rossendale & Household Support Fund

Find out what help is available in Rossendale

Cosy homes in Lancashire


New Home Upgrade Grant – Phase 2


The Governments New ‘Home Upgrade Grant – Phase 2’ is available to Rossendale residents.

Home Upgrade Grant is a Government backed scheme delivered by Local Authorities to improve the energy efficiency of eligible households for free (a contribution will be expected from Landlords).


The Government announced on 22nd March 2023 that Cosy Homes in Lancashire has been awarded £41m for the second phase of the Home Upgrade Grant. The scheme started on 1st April 2023 and will run for 2 years ending 31st March 2025.

A property qualifies if:

  • There is no Gas central Heating - any other forms of heating would qualify
  • It has an EPC of D, E, F or G

A household qualifies if:

  • The household income is less than £31,000 or
  • In receipt of a Means Tested Benefit or
  • If your property is in an eligible Post Code area. No finance evidence would be required.

The aim is to help residents to improve the warmth and comfort of their homes whilst also reducing energy bills, carbon emissions and the levels of fuel poverty across Lancashire.


The scheme aims to raise the energy efficiency of low energy performance homes which do not have gas central heating by installing insulation measures, installing renewable heating technologies such as Air Source Heat Pumps. Solar PV and Solar Thermal and upgrading single glazed windows to double glazing units.

To benefit from the scheme your property must have an Energy Performance Certificate Rating of D, E , F or G. If you're not sure then you can check on the EPC Register. If your property does not have an EPC then we can do this under the scheme however if the survey shows your house has an EPC Rating of A, B or C then it would not qualify for any measures.


If your house is currently heated by Gas Central Heating it is not eligible for the scheme so an application would be rejected.


To qualify you need to live in an eligible post code area, or have a household income of less than £31,000 per year or be in receipt of a means tested benefit.

The grant is aimed at households living in eligible post code areas (no income rules apply) or households with an income of less than £31,000 per year or anyone in receipt of a means tested benefit. If you wish to apply for funding then please complete the application form and CHiL will be in touch to discuss the next steps. All information provided by you will be stored and shared securely for the sole purpose of accessing energy saving measures. 

 The grant process can be complicated so please expect multiple visits to your property including;

  • An advice visit from Cosy Homes in Lancashire to assess your property and review the measures that you have applied for.
  • If your property does not currently have an EPC then this has to be carried out by a Domestic Energy Advisor in advance as only EPC banded properties of D, E, F or G can qualify. This can be done at the technical inspection stage or independently.
  • A Technical Inspection from the specialist contractors working on the scheme for each measure the advice visit has put forward, for example, If you are applying for windows, insulation and Solar PV then expect 3 separate visits. The CHiL ethos is to work with many smaller local contractors who specialise in one type of measure.
  • It is a Government requirement for the Home Upgrade Grant funding for every property to be visited by a Retrofit Assessor who will decide if the measures are suitable for the property. The Retrofitters Assessment will be signed off by a Retrofit Co-ordinator. This may mean that even if a Contractor has visited your property and put forward measures they may still be deemed unsuitable for your property type,
  • After completion of the work an Independent Assessor may visit to check on the quality of workmanship. If you are not happy with any aspect of the work then please contact Cosy Homes in Lancashire to request an inspection which will be arranged.

Please Note - Funding is subject to survey. Only Home Upgrade Grant measures are available on the grant and will only be installed if they are deemed to be suitable for your property by a Retrofit Assessor.



I have gas central heating. Can I apply?

No. The scheme is only available for properties who do not have gas central heating as the main heating source.

What is included in the scheme?

A number of insulation measures are included in the scheme including solid wall insulation, cavity wall insulation, loft insulation, underfloor insulation and Room in Roof Insulation. Renewable technologies are also included such as Air Source Heat Pumps, Solar PV and Solar Thermal. Single glazed window upgrades and High Heat Retention Storage Heaters.  Other measures are included so please contact CHiL for more information.

Can I apply for gas or LPG Heating?

No. The grant does not include fossil fuel heating. If you need a new boiler or would like a first time gas or LPG central heating system then CHiL have other funding so please go to the relevant section of their website to find out more.

Can I replace existing double glazing?

Only single glazed windows are eligible under this scheme. If you qualify and have single glazed windows they can be upgraded to double glazed windows.

Can I replace External Doors

If you have wooden external doors then you can apply to have them replaced on the scheme providing your house has an EPC rating of D,E,F or G. You would also need to qualify as being on a low income or in receipt of benefits.

Who qualifies for the 100% grant

If you live in an eligible postcode area, or if your household income is less than £31,000 or you or a household member is in receipt of a means tested benefit then you are eligible to apply. Landlords will have to pay a contribution towards the work.

Do I need to own my house to qualify?

Grants are available to owner-occupiers and private tenants. If you rent your property then your Landlord must agree to any work and they will need to make a contribution.

How do I know my house qualifies?

Your house must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) Rating of D, E, F or G. If the EPC rating is better than a D then the house would not qualify. If your house has had an EPC you can check on the link above to see what it is. For a property which has never had an EPC we can do one as part of the scheme free of charge. If you have gas central heating then you would not qualify.

Who will survey my property to check what work can be done?

The Cosy Homes in Lancashire team will organise a survey of your property by a fully qualified Retrofit Assessor. Only work identified by the Assessor will qualify for funding. You are under no obligation to go ahead with the work following the survey and will not be charged for the survey.

Will I get guarantees for any work that is done to my property?

All work done under the scheme will come with the appropriate Government backed guarantee for that measure. If you have work done and do not receive your guarantees then please contact Cosy Homes in Lancashire.

What if my household income is above £31,000 but my property qualifies

If your property is not in one of the eligible post code areas and your household income is above the threshold you will not qualify to apply for the funding although please contact CHiL who will go over your individual circumstances with you.

I am a Landlord. Can I apply?

If the property has a EPC rating of D,E,F or G then your tenant can apply if they are eligible. You will need to make a contribution towards any measures which would be no more than a third of the total cost.

I live in a Park Home. Can I apply?

If you live on a Residential Park Homes site and you pay Council Tax then you can apply for measures. You must be eligible to apply and your home have a low EPC rating. Measures such as External Wall Insulation, underfloor insulation, Solar PV and Air Source Heat Pumps may be suitable for your home.


Check your eligibility here


For more information on other CHiL grants which you may be eligible for please go to

Telephone:  0330 606 1488