Haslingden task force
Haslingden Task Force
Haslingden Task Force brings together people who are involved with services or activities in Haslingden to identify key regeneration issues affecting the town and potential projects or activities which could be delivered to help to boost the economy.
Rossendale Borough Council ring-fenced £100,000 to support the Task Force. The funding is to deliver projects and activities or it can be used as match funding to bid for external grants.
The group has been meeting since 2014 and is chaired by Leader of Rossendale Borough Council Cllr Alyson Barnes and meetings are co-ordinated by a Council officer.
A number of improvements have been completed or are underway in Haslingden through the Task Force:
Shop Front Improvement Scheme.
The Haslingden Shop Front Improvement Scheme is ongoing. The aim of the scheme is to give all shops in the town centre the opportunity to improve the appearance of their premises to contribute to the regeneration of Haslingden and encourage more visitors to the town.
Businesses in the town centre may apply for a grant of up to £2000.00 for works to improve their external shop front at ground floor level. The grant can cover up to 50% of the cost of the work with the business providing match funding. Works can include new windows, doors, repainting, exterior cleaning, canopies, signage, repair of brickwork, re-pointing and lighting, with the aim of maintaining and restoring traditional features where possible.
Work must comply with the Council’s Shop Front Design Guide and, where necessary, have planning permission and building regulations consent. Support and advice is available for businesses applying for the scheme.
Branding and promotion
A key priority for the Task Force is to promote the town positively, with a clear identity. The Visit Haslingden website - www.visithaslingden.com - was launched in March 2017, together with a town trail and town centre map / flyer. All feature the branding and logo developed for Haslingden with the strapline Small Town Big Heart. A large version of the town centre map / flyer has been put on the outside wall of the library to provide information for visitors.
Completed projects include:
- Town Centre car parks reviewed and new signs put up
- Installation of additional Christmas lights
- Clean up events including Clean for the Queen
- Proposals developed for changes to on street parking, to improve safety and allow people to shop and residents to park. These have now been put in place.
- Haslingden in Bloom – 74 hanging baskets installed on businesses and poles throughout the town
- Pavement deep clean and chewing gum removal completed.
- New, fully inclusive, outdoor gym installed in Victoria Park comprising 6 pieces of equipment designed to work as a circuit to exercise different muscle groups.