Building Control is the system by which the health and safety of people in and around buildings is safeguarded. Our Building Control team is responsible for checking submitted drawings, specifications, and calculations for compliance with the current Building Regulations and inspecting works on site throughout the Borough to ensure that:
- Health and safety of people
- Structural stability of buildings
- Fire safety and means of escape from buildings
- Conservation of fuel and power
- Access and facilities for those with disabilities
all meet the minimum standard set out in the Building Regulations and Approved Documents.
Additionally, we are responsible for:
- Giving advice to householders, developers, and businesses on the requirements and extent of the Building Regulations
- Ensuring that any reported dangerous structure in the borough is quickly dealt with to avoid any undue risk to the public
- Carrying out the statutory duties regarding the demolition of buildings
Most construction work requires approval under the Building Regulations. Local Authority Building Control (LABC) is dedicated to maintaining the highest standards in building design and construction. The LABC is based on a publicly accountable and independent service, ensuring that buildings comply with the legal requirements for health and safety. LABC Surveyors are able to help with problems beyond the scope of Building Control.
We respond to all reports of dangerous buildings, walls and structures within the Borough on a 24 hour 365 day a year basis.
For information on renovating your home or if you need to find a tradesperson you can visit the Home and Build website. You can also view the LABC homeowner guide to renovating and extending your home.