Apply for Housing Benefit
We cannot accept new claims for Housing Benefit unless you fall into one of the following categories:
- You or your partner are state Pension Credit age. If you are not sure, you can check your state pension age online.
- You live in temporary or supported accommodation.
If you do not fall into any of these categories, then you must apply for Universal Credit.
- Universal Credit does not include Council Tax Support which can still be claimed from Rossendale Borough Council via this form Council Tax Support
What evidence do I need to provide?
We sometimes need information about people other than the person who has applied for a benefit or service to work out what that person is entitled to. For example, where a person makes a claim for Housing Benefit, we need information about other people who live in the same household to work out how much the person will be paid.
We also need certain information and evidence from you to process your claim as quickly as possible.
Acceptable forms of proof of National Insurance Number
- National Insurance card
- P45 or P60
- DWP notification letter
- Tax letter
Acceptable forms of identification
- Current valid passport
- Full Driving Licence
- Marriage certificate
- Birth certificate
- Beneﬁt award letter from DWP
- National Identity card issued by a European Economic Area member state
- UK Residence permit
Types of income proof we need
- We need to see a notification letter for your current award if you receive Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (income based) or Pension Credits.
Proof of earnings
- For each job - 5 weekly, 3 fortnightly or 2 monthly consecutive wage slips. If you do not have these ask us for an 'employers certificate'. This must include a company stamp
- If you are self-employed - your HMRC self-employed registration number and your last proﬁt and loss accounts covering a 12 month period. If you do not have these ask for a self-employed form from us
Proof of other income
- State beneﬁts and pension
- Department for Works and Pension notification letter for the current award
- Bank statement showing the payments going in
- Pay Slips
- Letter from your former employer
- Letter from your pension provider
- Tax Credits - HMRC notification letter - all pages
- Maintenance - Letter from Child Support Agency or a letter from payer
- Other income - Letter showing the amount and frequency
- Student grant / loan - Current grant / loan award letter including a full breakdown of the type of grant
- Child care payments - Receipts showing the amount of payments made, frequency of the payments and the childminders' OFSTED registration number
Proof of capital
- Up to date bank statements covering the last 2 months.
- Share certificates
- National savings certificates
- Premium bonds
Documentary evidence of any other type of capital
- Second properties - Evidence of the current valuation and the amount of the outstanding mortgage
- Evidence of the amount of any rental income received
How to send your documents
Use our evidence uploader, it enables you to upload all the documents we need to support your application.
You will be asked to complete a few details first so that we can link your evidences to the correct person.