Tree Works

**Please note if your tree is on council owned land please refer to trees**

If you are looking to carry out works to trees, it is important to check if the tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order or if it is within a Conservation Area. You can do this by contacting us via email  

  1. Works to Trees Protected by a Tree Preservation Order
  2. Works to Trees in a Conservation Area
  3. Apply for Consent
  4. More Information


1. Works to Trees Protected by a Tree Preservation Order

Before carrying out works to trees which are protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) you must obtain written consent from the Council. An Order prohibits the following works to trees without prior consent:

  • Felling
  • Topping
  • Lopping
  • Uprooting
  • Willful damage
  • Willful destruction

Further information on TPOs, the validation and application process can be found on the Government website.


2. Works to Trees in a Conservation Area

Trees in a Conservation area, which are not protected by a TPO are protected by the provisions in section 211 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. 

Therefore, you are required to provide notice to us 6 weeks before carrying out works on such trees by completing an application form for Works to Trees. This gives us an opportunity to consider whether an Order is appropriate.


3. Apply for Consent

The easiest way to apply for consent for Works to Trees is online via the planning portal website. Alternatively you can download the paper form and send back by post to Development Control, Rossendale Borough Council, The Business Centre, Futures Park, Bacup, Lancashire OL13 0BB.

Apply Online


Our Validation Checklist provides detailed information about what to include as part of the application for Works to Trees.

Useful guidance notes are available on the Planning Portal.


4. More Information

For information about how Tree Preservation Orders are made and exemptions relating to Orders and Section 211 notices, please visit the Government Planning Practice Guidance ‘Tree Preservation Orders and trees in conservation areas’.